Makeup is WOW! and we also live in an age where everyone wants to put on makeup, even little kids are not exempted- my little cousins always play dress up with my clothes and makeup. Well, I must say this is a very “good” development because, just like my friend will always say –
“You can’t see an ugly girl in the street nowadays”.
I always laugh at this statement, but to be sincere there is an atom of truth in that statement and I’m pretty sure you agree with me. This is what makeup has done, so makeup is very good. Therefore, using foundation, primer, concealer, blushes, mascara, and so on, is very good. They transform you in a matter of hours or minutes as the case may be, covering up all your imperfections and giving you that Victoria Secret model look.
That notwithstanding, need I remind you that there will be situations that will NOT require you to wear any makeup at all? Like at the beach, swimming or at pool parties, staying at home, staying over at a boyfriend’s house, and so on. In these situations, makeup will not cover up for you; you just have to go #barefaced. Besides, prolonged and continuous use of makeup can damage your skin too. This brings to mind the obvious question-
“Is it possible to avoid wearing makeup and still look beautiful?”
My obvious reply to that obvious question is “yes” and that is what this blog post is all about. You too can achieve that Kim Kadarshian bare faced look if you really work hard at it; you too can be proud of your flawless, makeup-less face anytime, any day.
10 amazing tips to make you look beautiful without putting too much makeup effort
- Cleanse, cleanse and cleanse: The importance of cleaning your face can not be overemphasized. Just like your tiled floors look better when they are clean, the same thing goes for your face too. Always wash your face every morning, evening, and after exercise (please endeavor to use lukewarm water, not hot water). Use a mild alcohol free cleanser twice a day. NB: Avoid scrubbing your face, as this rids the face of its natural oils leaving it dry and flaky; use your fingertips instead or a soft foam.
- Exfoliate: Using a facial scrub to exfoliate your skin once or twice a day helps your skin look young and fresh without the use of any makeup trick. It rids you of a dead layer of skin that gives you that dull complexion and reveals the fresh skin below that will make you shine even if you don’t apply foundation. Take an ice cube and rub it all over your face after exfoliation, this helps to tighten the skin, controls sebum secretion and gives the face a healthy and pink glow. It also energizes your face.
- Moisturize: After exfoliating your skin, you need to moisturize it to keep and lock that moisture in and avoid a rough and dry skin like sandpaper. These moisturizers will equally minimize pores, reduce fine lines, make your skin smoother and to better reflect light, giving that natural glow effect. Tip: during harmattan, add few drops of natural oils (coconut oil, jojoba oil, sheabutter oil, etc) to your moisturizer. You are welcome.
- Serums and Toners: While serums are like energy skin shots that are meant to regenerate your skin by infusing it with high concentration of actives, which you do not normally get by taking supplements orally; toners help to restore the pH balance of your skin while closing the pores. Toners tighten your skin and keep it supple and soft. Okay, okay… enough of the chemicals already. Let’s get natural…
- Eat healthy and avoid junk foods: I’m pretty sure this is not the first time you are hearing that when you eat healthy, it reflects on your skin and your face. Well, this old cliché is undoubtedly true, plus you will be healthier all round. You can start by switching your snacks from the regular junk to healthier alternatives, like carrots, nuts, apples, etc. I feel this is a nice way to start without completely changing your diet. Instead of canned juice and sodas, you can switch to fresh fruit juice, leafy greens smoothies and plain water. You will lose some calories too, which is a welcome bonus. Exercise regularly and take long walks in the evenings to get some fresh air, this keeps you in shape and makes you look younger.
- Drink water: I recently came across a funny meme- “I feel like water solves all problems. Wanna lose weight? Drink water… clear face? Drink water… tired of your nigga? Drown him” Don’t say I told you that last part though… lol. Drinking the recommended amount of water per day ensures that your skin stays hydrated and supple, and helps flush away the toxins causing acne breakouts… to get you that fresh face you want. Of course, you don’t have to drink one litre of water in one shot, but drink one glass of water regularly throughout the day. Tip: add a few drops of fresh lime or lemon juice to your drinking water. You are welcome.
- Eyebrows and lashes: Eyebrows play a really important role in the way we look; in fact, to look good bare faced, you need to draw the attention to your eyes. Always make sure your eye brows are in good shape and not like Ugly Betty’s, but that does not mean you should shave them off completely or make them so thin that they’re barely visible. If you can’t do it yourself, get a good professional to do it for you. If you have scanty brows, you can use a dab of brow primer to add volume and give it a more defined look. Also, I think Kim Kardashian’s long, spidery lashes are the secret to her fabulous without-makeup look. Unfortunately, I am not gifted with naturally long and full lashes, so I use mascara to enhance my eyes. You can try that too, you can equally use eye lash curler to make them appear longer. A friend of mine advised me to oil my lashes with Vaseline every night to keep them moist and healthy, I think that works too.
- Wear a lip balm and a smile: Treat chapped lips with a nice tinted and moisturizing lip balm; this will help keep your lips luscious and attractive. Coming to a smile, imagine 2 girls, one grumpy and looking bored while the other one is smiling and having fun. Who do you think looks prettier? Your guess is as good as mine. However, you can’t rock a smile when you don’t have a good dental hygiene. Using a toothbrush and toothpaste twice a day may not be enough, incorporate dental floss and an anti-bacterial mouth rinse, be sure to visit a dentist for scaling and polishing at least twice a year; you can also consider whitening your teeth if it is too stained. With a lovely smile, you are ready to take on the world, becausea smile remains the best makeup for a girl.
- Get a good hairstylist and make him/her your best friend: That way, they will ensure that your hair is always on point and never neglected. I say this because a lot of these hairdressers can be mean when styling our weaves, you don’t want to end up looking like a clown sweetheart. Your well groomed and stylish hair; whether natural, short or long, or even a wig as the case may be, goes a very long way in enhancing your overall beauty. So, if you are not wearing makeup you need to at least spend a little time on your hair.
- Dress well: Simple and classy, that’s all it takes, you don’t need to go overboard to dress well. Even if it’s a simple white T-shirt and a pair of jeans, just make sure they are your perfect fit and size. Don’t be afraid to mix styles and create your own unique style, it helps you make a statement and stand out in the crowd. Always at aim at being confident in your outfit, how you act while wearing your outfit goes a long way in determining if it will be a hit or miss.
Above all, wear your confidence like a price tag. The secret to looking good without makeup is feeling good from within; so always stay positive, confident and happy. Make sure you already feel fabulous about yourself on the inside, and it will easily reflect on the outside.
And oops! I almost forgot… please, please and please always wear or use a great perfume. Just do it for me, okay? Thank you.
Also Read How to apply make up on Dry skin
Now that you know what to do to achieve that flawless look without makeup, give it a try and give us a feedback. If you’ve got more tips, kindly share with us. I already tried it, and I have that picture up there to show for it. You can do better. Nothing can beat natural beauty!
SHARING IS CARING! DO SHARE THIS
Article by: Mimi Ojiakor